Day 24: Chilli, cheese, bacon and hummus burger
Another first: homemade burgers. Always wanted to try to make my own but every attempt turned into a bowl of mincemeat, but that was some years ago. So what better to make on a Saturday night but a HUGE bacon, cheese and hummus burger?
Changes to make for the future it to make 4 patties from that , add more of the spices, a bit more bacon and cook on the bbq (but it was raining so not a chance tonight). Husband would have chosen to not use hummus whilst I loved it.
- 500g beef mince
- Salt to bind with the mince before anything else
- 1/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, cut thinly
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbs grated parmesan cheese
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Hummus (I made it from scratch)
- 2 slices of bacon
- 4 slices of a large tomato
- Crunchy leaves
Place mince and salt into a bowl alone to bind. Then mix the onion, chilli, egg, breadcrumbs, mustard, parmesan and nutmeg in a bowl, and season. Use your hands to shape into 4 patties. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 3 tbs thaini
- 3 tbs of the chickpea juice
- Cumin/salt/hot paprika to taste
- 1/2 a lemon’s worth of juice
- 1-2 cloves of roasted garlic is normally added but I didn’t have any
- 3 tbs olive oil (or more if you like but I rather add more of the chickpea juice)
Add to blender, blend.
Cook patties on low heat for 10+ minutes (they need to feel firm) then crank up the heat to crisp up.
Add cheese on top. If the patties aren’t hot enough to melt it, bung the pan into the oven for a minute or so until it melts.
Cook bacon, crisp up buns, and bung it all together and eat!